It is hard to believe that summer is almost here! Here are some ideas to keep you busy while school is out.
Things to do Outside
- Ice Blocks– Freeze water with plastic toys in a clean milk carton (add food coloring optional) Allow child to use plastic hammer to chip ice to get the “goodies” out
- Wash the Dishes– Fill a plastic tub with water and have child wash plastic dishes outside. Provide soap, sponges, and towels to dry.
- Mining for Gold– Spray some small rocks with gold or silver paint and bury in your child’s sandbox or dirt in the yard. Using shovels, your child can dig for treasure.
- Transparent Painting– Hang a clear, plastic tablecloth to your fence and using washable tempera paints, your child can use the sheet as a canvas.
- Car Wash– Set up a car wash area for your child to wash their riding cars and tricycles using sponges and shallow dishes of soapy water
- Sheet Painting– With an old sheet and spray bottles full of colored water (liquid tempera paint works great), allow your child to spray paint their creations.
- Rock Collecting– Give your child empty egg cartons to hunt for rocks. Provide newspaper, small containers of water, washable tempera paint, and brushes for them to paint their rocks. (Parents can use clear nail polish as a top coat to make them shine)
Places to Visit
- The Regnier Family Wonderscope: https://wonderscope.org/
- Deanna Rose Farmstead: https://www.opkansas.org/recreation-fun/deanna-rose-childrens-farmstead/
- Overland Park Arboretum: https://www.opkansas.org/recreation-fun/arboretum-botanical-gardens/
- Kansas City Zoo: https://www.kansascityzoo.org/
- Farmers Markets: Overland Park, Olathe, Gardner, Spring Hill, City Market
- Gieringer’s Family Orchard and Berry Farm: https://goberryfarm.com/
- Lake Olathe Park: https://www.olatheks.org/government/parks-recreation/parks-trails-bike-lanes/parks/lake-olathe-park
- Bull Creek Park: https://jcprd.com/facilities/facility/details/Big-Bull-Creek-Park-101
- Stilwell Community Park: https://www.jocogov.org/facility/stilwell-community-park
- Arbor Landing Park: https://www.olatheks.org/government/parks-recreation/parks-trails-bike-lanes/parks/arbor-landing-park
- Indian Creek Park (The Library Park): https://www.olathelibrary.org/Home/Components/News/News/2971/1040
- Aldersgate Preschool Playground 🙂